I am an experienced architectural leader, and have extensive expertise in enterprise architecture, solutions architecture and architectural governance.
As an enterprise architect I can perform the following activities for a department, domain, or the whole enterprise.
- Identify and engage with an appropriate set of business and technology stakeholders across the enterprise or department.
- Analyse and document the current-state systems landscape.
- Work with the stakeholders to agree and ratify principles, constraints and priorities.
- Develop one or more candidate target enterprise architectures, and validate them against the principles, constraints and priorities.
- Ratify the preferred target architecture.
- Develop roadmaps to move from the current state towards the target.
As a solution architect I can perform the following activities for a project or programme.
- Identify and engage with an appropriate set of business and technology stakeholders.
- Confirm scope, context and requirements with my stakeholders.
- Identify candidate architectural solutions, and validate them against the project’s requirements, priorities and constraints.
- Design and document the preferred architecture, and ratify it with the stakeholders.
- Oversee the implementation of the architecture, to ensure that it aligns with the original vision, and amend / improve that vision where necessary.
I am also experienced in designing and implementing architectural governance frameworks, and performing architecture reviews for planned or in-flight projects.
My architecture reviews ensure that:
- project scope and context are clear
- the system will meet its functional requirements
- the system will exhibit the required quality properties (“non-functional requirements”)
- the system’s architecture follows the organisation’s IT strategy and enterprise architecture principles
- the system’s architecture is sound and follows good practice
- architecture change management on the project is lightweight but effective